SBI has upgraded credit card related security features to better safeguard credit cardholders against any fraudulent transactions. You may choose to block your credit card to prevent an unauthorized transaction. Immediate blocking of the card will save you from substantial losses, especially in case your credit card is lost or stolen.
If you use an SBI Credit Card regularly, there are chances that your card could sometimes be blocked because of reasons unknown to you. This could be because of a credit card limit breach or insufficient balance or another reason. It can come as a surprise, especially when you need the card during a payment transaction.
So, how do you unblock an SBI credit card? Read on to find out the answer to this and also some important aspects to know on credit cards.
Online ways to unblock SBI credit card
Here is how to unblock SBI Credit Card online
Unblock SBI credit card using SBI’s online portal
- Go to the official portal of SBI Credit Card at https://www.sbicard.com.
- Log in to your account using the bank-provided credentials. In case you do not have login details, you must first create an online account for your SBI credit card.
- Navigate to the ‘Requests’ Section and go to ‘Card Activation’ on the left panel of the screen.
- You will see a blocked cards list. Activate the card after selecting the right one which was blocked.
Unblock SBI credit card using the “Write to Us” option
To unblock your State Bank of India (SBI) credit card using the “Write to Us” option, follow these simple steps:
- Access the SBI Card official website and log in to your account.
- Locate the “Write to Us” section on the homepage.
- Choose the reason for your request, such as a blocked card.
- Fill out the required information in the form, including your name, credit card number, and the reason for the block.
- Submit the form.
The SBI Card customer service team will review and respond to your request promptly to resolve the issue and unblock your credit card.
Offline ways to unblock SBI credit card
Here is how to unblock SBI Credit Card offline
Unblock SBI credit card using customer care –
For unblocking an SBI Credit Card or reactivating a temporarily blocked card, you must call the below-mentioned SBI Credit Card Customer Care Number:
- 1860-180-1290 or
- (STD Code) 39020202
Steps to follow:
- The customer care number can also be found on the backside of the card. Unblocking an SBI credit card through a phone call may take time.
- Make sure to select the appropriate option by following the IVR. It will ask for identification credentials to proceed with unblocking.
- Some of the details that will be asked are name, current address, and date of birth. You will then be asked to enter your pin.
- Never tell your credit card pin to the representative and only enter it through your phone as requested.
Unblock SBI credit card by sending a letter
To have your State Bank of India (SBI) credit card unblocked by sending a letter, follow these steps:
- Compose a formal letter addressed to the SBI Card customer service team.
- Include crucial information such as your full name, SBI credit card number, and the reason for the block in the letter.
- Express your desire to have your card unblocked in a clear and concise manner.
- Mail the letter to the designated postal address for SBI Card customer service.
The SBI Card team will carefully review your request and take the necessary actions to resolve the issue and have your credit card unblocked as soon as possible.
Unblock SBI credit card by visiting the SBI branch
Here are the steps to unblock SBI credit card at SBI branch:
- Visit nearest SBI branch.
- Approach customer service desk.
- Explain card is blocked & request to unblock it.
- Submit government-issued ID & relevant details.
- Pay any outstanding amount, if applicable.
Points to note before calling SBI for unblocking credit card
Some of the points to bear in mind before calling SBI for unblocking of credit card:
- SBI Card will not allow unblocking of a lost or stolen credit card.
- You can unblock a credit card that has been blocked because of reasons like suspicious transactions on the card, non-payment of many bills or exceeding the allowed credit card limit.
- If your SBI Credit Card has been blocked because of exceeding the assigned credit limit, you can request to unblock the same by paying the balance to bring it below the available credit limit.
- For any other reason behind a blocked SBI credit card, you should reach out to the bank’s customer support.
Reactivation of SBI credit card
Here are some easy steps to follow for reactivation of your SBI credit card:
- If your SBI credit card account has been temporarily put on hold, you can call on the SBI credit card customer care number (mentioned above) to reactivate the same.
- You can also send a request for reactivation through email.
- After following certain formalities listed by the bank, your account will be reactivated.
Explain various situations like exceeding credit limit, delayed payments, defaults, account written off. Mention steps to unblock under each.
Important things to remember about credit cards
Here are some important aspects to note about credit cards, as these can help protect against potential fraud on your credit card:
- Always have the credit card customer care numbers saved on your mobile phone
- Never share credit card PIN with anyone. This point especially applies to anyone asking for the pin while assisting you to unblock your credit card. You may enter the pin on the IVR but never speak it out.
- Never save any of your credit card information, like number, pin, expiry date, etc online.
- Make sure to use your credit card for online transactions only on secure websites.
- Check the transaction receipt’s customer copy to make sure that you do not get charged an incorrect amount.
- Avoid carrying all credit cards with you at all times. You may carry only the ones which you will absolutely need.
- Try to install licensed antivirus & anti-phishing software on the devices which you frequently use for online shopping through your credit card.
- Avoid having the same PIN for all your credit cards.
- Never use public computers for any online transactions, as these may not be secure.
SBI credit card unblocking is a simple process if done online. Users can also reach out to the customer care number for unblocking their card. To avoid any fraudulent activities, the bank ensures a secure mechanism for the unblocking of credit cards. If used with care, SBI credit cards can come in handy while shopping online or offline and even during emergencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can unblock your SBI credit card online through the SBI card website or you can reach out to the customer care number at 1860-180-1290.
Your credit card may be blocked for one of the following reasons:
Credit limit exceeded
Fraudulent transaction identified
Unpaid bills beyond due date
Lost or stolen credit card
You can activate your SBI credit card by either calling the customer care number or you can do so online through the SBI card website using your login credentials.
If your credit card is blocked, you can request for it to be unblocked by reaching out to the customer care number or follow the online process by logging on to the bank website.
Yes, a blocked credit card can be unblocked by requesting the customer care department of the bank to unblock and following the necessary steps. It can also be unblocked through the bank website if such services are available.