Employees Provident Fund (EPF) is a savings mechanism for employees in India. Under this, the employee and the employer make equal contributions towards the employee’s savings that can be redeemed after retirement or at the time of switching jobs. For FY 2020-21, the interest rate applicable to EPF contributions is 8.5%. Checking EPF balance was once a major hassle for most employees, but not anymore. Now one can check EPF balance using various online and offline modes.
There are four main ways to check EPF balance: SMS, missed call, Umang app and EPFO official website. Read on to know the details of checking EPF balance offline as well as online.
Offline modes available for checking EPF balance:
Balance check by SMS
For this method, users must use their registered mobile number to send an SMS to EPFO. This will fetch information from the user’s account.
SMS Format to be used for sending balance enquiry to EPFO:
EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899
Users will receive a reply in English as it is the default language. For language-specific responses, users must add the language code in the SMS.
Users can receive the SMS in 10 languages, namely:
|Language and Code|
|English (Default)||Hindi (HIN)|
|Gujarati (GUJ)||Punjabi (PUN)|
|Marathi (MAR)||Kannada (KAN)|
|Malayalam (MAL)||Tamil (TAM)|
|Telugu (TEL)||Bengali (BEN)|
For instance, if a user needs balance details in Hindi or Marathi or Bengali, he/she must send SMS such as:
EPFOHO UAN HIN to 7738299899
EPFOHO UAN MAR to 7738299899
EPFOHO UAN BEN to 7738299899
This facility can only be used if the user’s UAN (universal account number) is active and linked to the user’s Aadhaar, Bank Account and PAN. For those who have not linked the UAN with the above-mentioned documents, the first step is to complete the eKYC with UAN.
EPF Balance check by giving a Missed Call
Another easy offline mode of checking EPF balance is by giving a missed call to this number—011-22901406. Once done, the user will receive details of the last contribution made to the PF account along with the PF balance. For using this facility, the following requirements have to be met:
- The member/user’s UAN should be active
- The member’s mobile number must be registered with the UAN since the missed call is valid only if done through the registered number
- The UAN should be linked to other important documents such as, PAN, Aadhaar,and Bank Account
Online modes of checking EPF balance:
EPF Balance check through Umang App
EPFO or Employees Provident Fund Organisation offers various services on the government’ centralized mobile app called Umang. Users or members can check their EPF balance and get PF passbook using the Umang App by logging in using their UAN and OTP.
Here are the steps to check EPF balance using Umang App:
- Users should first install the application from Play Store/App Store
- Users must then launch the Umang app on their smartphone and select their preferred language. It is important to read the terms and conditions of the “End to End License Agreement” before proceeding.
- Verify and register mobile number
- Click on the ‘All Services’ option
- Search for and select ‘EPFO’ from the list of options available
- Click on ‘View Passbook‘ to check EPF balance
- Enter UAN and click on ‘Get OTP’
- Enter the OTP and click on ‘Login’
- OTP is then sent to the registered mobile number
- Follow the steps as they appear on the mobile screen
PF passbook is displayed on the screen along with the EPF balance.
Check EPF Balance Using the EPFO Portal:
Members of the EPFO can check their EPF balance by visiting the official website of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Here are the steps to check EPF balance online on EPFO Portal:
- Visit the official EPFO website at – www.epfindia.gov.in
- In the ‘Our Services’ menu, select ‘For Employees’
- Within the ‘Services’ menu, select ‘Member Passbook’ to be redirected to the login page
- Login with UAN and password.
- After logging in, member IDs of all the accounts linked with the UAN can be seen
- Click on the Member ID of the EPF account for which the balance needs to be checked
Important points to remember on EPF balance check
Members should note below-mentioned points about the EPF balance check using portal:
- Only members who have activated their UAN and registered on the UAN Member Portal can check their PF balance on the portal
- Passbook can be viewed only after 6 hours of registering on the UAN Member Portal
- Users who have made any changes on the UAN Portal should expect them to be reflected on the website only after 6 hours
- The passbook will reflect the latest entries as reconciled by the EPFO Field Offices
- Exempted Establishments Members, Settled Members and members of inoperative accounts cannot view their EPF passbook on the EPFO website
- Those who have stopped contributing to their EPF account since at least 3 years should note that their account will be inoperative
How to check EPF balance of exempted establishments/private trusts?
Users or members belonging to exempted establishments or private trusts cannot view the EPF balance or furnish a request for online EPF withdrawal. However, they can access EPF information by checking their salary slips or raising a request to the respective HR department.
Activate your UAN to check your EPF balance at any time using the convenience of online facilities such as the web portal or the Umang app.
- Can I check EPF balance using my Aadhaar number?
No, checking EPF balance using an Aadhaar number is not possible. For checking EPF balance, you must provide a valid UAN.
- How to check EPF balance using EPF number?
EPF number is not required for checking the EPF balance. A user should have a valid UAN and password for checking the EPF balance online.
- Is there a way to check EPF balance using PAN?
No. PAN is not a requirement for checking the EPF balance. However, users must ensure to link their UAN to PAN for availing various online services related to EPF.
- What if I did not link my mobile number with EPF? Will I be able to check my EPF balance through SMS without this?
EPF balance check through SMS can be done only if the request is sent through the registered mobile number registered. Therefore, you have to link your mobile number with UAN to check EPF balance.
- How do I check the EPF balance of my previous account?
All EPF accounts linked to a UAN are on the screen once logged in to the EPF portal. You can select the relevant Member ID to check EPF balance.