UAN, or the Universal Account Number, is a 12 digit number issued to every employee contributing to the Employee Provident Fund. The authority i.e. Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) allocates the UAN to the provident fund account holders. It is a unique number that is assigned to each employee by the company. It is important to remember that each employee of the organisation can have only one UAN.
A company that has more than 20 employees must generate UAN for its employees. The company is obligated to provide UAN cards to contract workers too, so long as they contribute toward the Provident Fund.
What are the features of UAN?
UAN helps centralise employee data in the country. It is used to bring down the time and effort invested in the employee verification procedure of the company. Another important feature is that the EPFO can extract bank account details and KYC of the members without the aid of employers. This helps the EPFO track multiple job switches of the employees enabling it to keep tabs meticulously.
What is the importance of UAN to the employee?
The importance of having a UAN for the employees cannot be stressed enough. The most beneficial aspect of having a UAN is that every new provident fund account will come under the same account. One even has the option of downloading his or her PF statement at any time. Also, one can download and print the UAN card online.
The withdrawal procedure becomes simplified with the use of this number. The UAN ensures that the employee is not deprived of their funds by the employer. Also, the employers needn’t validate the profile if the UAN is already verified.
How can you generate UAN?
UAN can be generated in just 5 simple steps. These are as follows –
Step 1: You must login into the UAN Login portal.
Step 2: In the member section, click the “register individual” option.
Step 3: Use the PAN, Aadhar, Bank and other options to register.
Step 4: Ask your employer to approve the registration.
Step 5: You can link the UAN with the Provident Fund account now.
Please note: There is no registration fee for UAN registration.
What are the documents required to open UAN?
The documents required to open an Universal Account Number under EPF are
- Bank account number, IFSC code and branch name.
- ID proof in the form of Aadhar, driving license etc.
- Address proof
- PAN card
- ESIC card
UAN Activation Process
The UAN Activation Process is as follows –
- Step 1:Go to the EPF India home page (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/).
- Step 2: Click the ‘Our Services’ tab and choose the ‘For employees’ option.
- Step 3: Select ‘Member UAN Online Services’.
- Step 4: Enter the UAN, PF member ID and the mobile number. Click the “Get authorisation PIN Button”
- Step 5: Click on the “I agree” button on the disclaimer pop up to proceed.
- Step 6: Enter the OTP..
- Step 7: Click the “Validate OTP and Activate UAN” button.
- Step 8: Once this is complete, you’ll receive a password on your registered mobile number that can be used to access one’s EPF account.
- Step 9: The following documents must be provided at the time of UAN activation online – Aadhaar card, PAN card, bank account details and IFSC and any other proof of identity or address, if required.
How do you know know your UAN?
There are two means through which one can get to know his or her UAN i.e. either through the employer or salary slip printouts or through UAN portal on the ‘Know your UAN status’ tab.
How can you link Aaadhar with UAN?
- One can link his or her Aadhar to UAN either through the online or offline mode.
- If it is to be done online the following steps must be followed –
- Go to the EPFO portal (https://unifiedportal.epfindia.gov.in/) and then click the UAN Member e-Sewa tab.
- Enter your UAN and password.
- Select “Manage” and then select KYC.
- Enter your details in the “Add KYC” tab.
- You must wait for 15 days to receive the approval.
- The final status will be displayed as “Approved KYC”
- To link it in the offline mode, you must:
Fill the EPFO application, and attach UAN, PAN and Aadhaar documents along with it.
Submit these at the EPFO or Common Centre services.
Your Aadhar card will be linked after the verification process is completed.
The employee will be intimated of the same on his or her registered mobile number.
EPF is an important avenue to save for your retirement. With the advent of online tools, transacting, updating personal particulars, or transferring EPF when you change your jobs has become easier. So make sure you keep your UAN handy by registering online or offline.
Frequently Asked Questions
In the absence of UAN, one cannot make online claims regarding their PF.
There is no necessity of activating the UAN every single time there is job change.
No transfer of funds or claim withdrawal can be done in the absence of Aadhar seeding of the UAN.
Yes, this can be done through a simple procedure. The employee is to submit the updated information to the employers who will in turn send it to the concerned officer. Upon successful verification, the same will be updated on the portal.