Mutual funds are one of the most sought-after investment instruments in India. It is regulated by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the statutory body regulating and setting the guidelines for mutual funds in India. Whenever investors purchase any mutual fund, a corresponding folio number is generated. You can track the performance and various other information of your fund using the Folio Number. However, before going into details of how you can leverage the folio number to check the status of the funds, let’s have a look at what the folio number is!
What is Folio Number?
When a mutual fund investor invests a sum into a mutual fund scheme, a unique folio number is generated by the asset management company (AMC) against the Permanent Account Number (PAN). It is also known as Portfolio Number.
5 Ways to Check Mutual Fund Status with Folio Number?
Here are a few ways that one can use to check mutual fund statement by folio number, and fund performance:
Check Status from the Website or App:
There are a number of websites and apps that allow you to invest and track your mutual funds like Fisdom . It is a mutual fund investment platform that also allows you to export your existing portfolios and keep a track of their performance. You can easily keep yourself updated about your investment at your fingertips. You could also get recommendations based on your goals and risk profile. Redemption of your investments is also quick and easy on the Fisdom app which you could download on the Playstore or the App store .
Check Fund Status Through AMC Customer Care:
- One can also call the customer care of the registered fund house or fund managers to get the details of their mutual funds.
- The customer care executive of the mutual fund house will ask for the PAN number and folio number check of the fund to match the authenticity.
- Once it is verified, they will provide the details of the respective funds.
Contact the broker:
People often approach brokers to invest in the mutual funds on behalf of them. In order to check the performance of the fund, one can always approach their broker. The value of funds is dependent largely on market movements, and brokers have real-time updates regarding the funds.
Check the status from Fund’s website:
Every fund house that offers fund investment options has dedicated mutual fund sites where one can log in and get the details of the performance and status of their funds using folio number check.
Check through Consolidated Account Statements:
In India, there are two depositories that collect and analyse the investment of an individual. These are:
- National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), and
- Central Depository Services (India) Limited (CDSL).
If you own a Demat account and invest in stocks, the depositories send a monthly consolidated account statement through email with the details of investment across funds.
Benefits of Folio Number
Some of the benefits of checking a folio number are:
- Efficient Investment Tracking: Folio Numbers allow investors to easily monitor and keep records of their mutual fund investments, helping them stay organized and informed about their portfolio’s performance.
- Simplified Redemption and Switching: Investors can redeem or switch their investments more conveniently with a Folio Number, reducing paperwork and processing time when managing their mutual fund holdings.
- Facilitates Tax Filing: Folio Numbers streamline the process of reporting mutual fund investments for taxation purposes, making it easier for investors to comply with tax regulations.
- Consolidated Portfolio View: Investors can access a single view of their holdings across different mutual fund schemes and asset management companies, providing a comprehensive overview of their investments.
- Effective Communication with Fund Houses: Folio Numbers serve as a reference point when investors need to communicate with fund houses for updates, inquiries, or assistance related to their investments.
- Improved Investor Convenience: Overall, Folio Numbers enhance investor convenience by simplifying administrative tasks, reducing paperwork, and offering a more organized approach to managing mutual fund investments.
One can use any of the above-mentioned methods to check the performance of funds through folio numbers. If someone purchases multiple schemes from a fund house, the folio number remains the same to ease out the handling of finances. Since the folio number is linked with the PAN card, there is no need to be worried. However, one should always keep the record of their investment in one place so that the financials don’t get cluttered.
Yes, you can check your mutual fund status using the folio number. It provides access to investment statements, NAV, portfolio, and allows transactions through online portals, mobile apps, or customer care.
You can download your mutual fund statement using the folio number through the fund house’s website or mobile app. Alternatively, you can request a copy of the statement from the fund house’s customer care.
Yes, it is possible to have multiple folio numbers for investments in the same mutual fund. This can happen when you make additional purchases of units in the fund through different modes such as online, offline or through a broker, and each mode generates a separate folio number.
The folio number is unique to each mutual fund scheme and is assigned by the asset management company (AMC) at the time of investment. Therefore, if you have invested in multiple mutual fund schemes of the same AMC, each investment will have a different folio number. Similarly, if you have invested in mutual fund schemes of different AMCs, each investment will have a unique folio number assigned by that particular AMC.